Wednesday 16 June 2010

Creativity killed with cold blood.

First please watch this movie:


Would you agree that educational system is killing creativity? Have you ever felt disappointed with
what you had been obliged to do? I have this feeling quite often. You have something to do and you do everything else but this. This means that you just don’t want to do it. You procrastinate. What procrastination is?


But why it has to be like that? Why we are forced to do something that we don’t want to do? Have you noticed that when studying to difficult exam you become sleepy and tired and when you start doing anything else you instantly become excited? I feel that this is because of bad educational system.
First problem is the age. We are forced to choose our studies when we are about 18 and in my opinion it is a little too early to make such a significant decision. Many of my friends managed to graduate but after that they are sure that this is not what they want to do for the rest of their lives. And this is not just polish problem. I spoke to an Italian student, who after graduating Architecture on University in Milano discovered, that it was a bad idea and now he is trying hard to find other studies.
In Israel students after high school go to obligatory military training for 3 years (girls for 2 years). It is a common practice that after that they go for a year abroad. Most of young Israeli students go to India, because it is cheap. They party hard there, drink a lot, make new friends and think what to do with their lives. When they come back they start studies. I know that they graduate late, and by that time we (Europeans), are much ahead with diploma and experience in work. But in the end they have greater chance to do what they really want to do.
Second problem is that when choosing a field of knowledge you would like to study, you have a little idea about it. When choosing computer science I had this vision that being a IT professional is exciting, that you work with super computers, make interesting computation and research, sometimes hack into a complex system, you know, cool stuff. Reality is less exiting. As far I can see 98% of this work is to sit with nose in monitor trying to fix problems. Endless sea of incompatibilities, errors, system faults, etc. It’s not easy.
What do you think could be done to increase the chance of choosing right studies? How to find one’s most suitable field of knowledge?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely our educational system fails. I don't think that we are to young to choose right type of studies, but to immature. I decided to study after few years spent at home with little children and working as a freelancer as graphic designer. While in secondary school I was extremely easygoing pupil (hundreds hours of playing truant and having fun), now I'm really disciplined because I do what I want and I know why I'm here.

    The problem is probably killing self responsibility since the early age. Kids don't learn because they want to, but because they are forced to do it. The perfect solution is home education, tailored for pupil. The results are amazing if you read some stats. Anyway, it's hard undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >What do you think could be done to increase
    >chance of choosing right studies?
    I have no idea. Really. I can't come up with any suitable solution.

    >How to find one’s most suitable field of
    >knowledge?
    I suppose the only valid method is trial-and-error method, but it is very time consuming.

    ReplyDelete