Friday 30 April 2010

Life - part 3

This is the last part of my presentation. So far I have mentioned some facts and definitions. Now I want to present some interesting (and surprising) breakthrough in the search for extraterrestrial life. Today I will write about ... Mars.

Mars


I think the Red Planet is one of the most characteristic planets in solar system and beyond. Mars was theme for many books, movies and games. However I will don't mention these, but rather state some facts.

Is Mars Earth-like?

Lets take a look at some numbers.

Mars mass = 0.107 Earths 

Mars surface = 0.284 Earths

Mars volume = 0.151 Earths

Mars radius = 0.531 Earths

As we can see Mars seems to be completely different, but... 

Interesting isn't it? 

Final words

I would like to thank for all the comments and participation. I hope that my presentation was a bit interesting. Personally I believe there is intelligent life beyond solar system  and I hope that one day we meet it. I also hope that this will be peaceful. Even though I can imagine that worlds capable of supporting life are rare and precious, and that finally could be reason for conflict. But, who knows?

Q:

[1] According to the video above; (again) Do you think that we find extraterrestrial life within decade? (assuming that they send ARES ... )

[2] What is your favorite (of course if there is any) book, movie or game related to Mars?
 

13 comments:

  1. Ad 1. Within a decade? No, like this guy said "all we need is a check from NASA...".

    Ad 2. Movie: "Total Recall" (with Arnold Schwarzenegger), Game: "Doom" of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. The man from the video above didn't said it literally. Anyway, I still doubt if we find life on Mars at all.

    2. Maybe Burton's "Mars attack"? Actually I've never been keen on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ad.1. No way..

    Ad.2. I do not like this kind of films

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been interested in Mars subject, so I didn't read any books. In my opinion it's impossible to find any life within decade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About 4 year ago I was in Contemporary Art Museum (CSW) and I saw Russian silent movie with live music from 20's about conquering Mars. That was definitely the best movie I've ever seen. I'll try to find it somewhere on the Internet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made a few calculations. That was about 6-7 years ago ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I don't think so
    2. I watched only Brian De Palma's "Mission to Mars" but it wasn't good film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. As i wrote before - it's possible.
    2. I saw only 'Mission to Mars' movie so i cannot say that this one is my favourite in subject of Mars :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I can realize, it could be a life on Mars billions years ago when there had been some watter... Now on Mars there is no liquid watter so life can not exist...
    1. In my opinion one decade is to short time to find an extraterrestrial life
    2. I don't like this kind of movies

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. No, there is no such possibility. NASA has a big financial crisis now.
    2. Total Recall. Book? Woman is from Wensum and Man from Mars????
    *print screen’ed*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that’s incredible. I hope this mission will be a success in mars exploration. That would be so fascinating if we established a base on Mars. I am so curious what scientists will find there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, i am not very interested in the space topic, but there is one book with mars plot: Bladerunner by Philip K. Dick.
    it describes mars as a place for mass migration from earth, that has been totally wasted by wars and pollution.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In decade definitely no !
    My favourite movie is one from my childhood ... Total recall - great scene when Arnold remove women mask from head... :)

    ReplyDelete