Sunday 18 April 2010

Monsters as horror movies stars.

Monsters always have had their place in art and literature. However, some of them became real stars in the age of cinema. A lot of various monsters have appeared in movies: mythological Gorgon, sirens (not necessarily bad) or cyclops. Many of them have been created as stop motion by guru of monster animation, Ray Harryhausen. Here you can see some of his artworks (1930s-1950s).



However, some creatures have been depicted in cinema more often than others. I mean horror movies stars: vampires, werewolves and Frankenstein. Not many know, that word vampire's etymology is connected with Eastern Europe and has its Polish equivalent "wąpierz". There is quite likely hypothesis that stories about vampires have been popularized in early Middle Ages by Slavic nuns who used to take care of children in the West of Europe.

According to Slavic beliefs vampire come into being from unburnt dead bodies. Christianity brought habit of burring deceased instead of burning them, so there had to be a really plague of vampires ;-) In the beginning of XIX th century they gained even greater glory, when they became heroes of Romantic literature. The contemporary image of vampire had been created by Bram Stoker in novel "Dracula" screened and adapted in many variations. One of the most famous is version with Bela Lugosi made in 1931 by Murnau. Below you can see fragments of it in Bauhaus' cover:



I guess I don't have to mention how popular vampires are still in the movies, comics (eg. "Vampirella") or RPG games ("Vampire. Mascarade").

Contrariwise to vampires, werewolves' origin can't be situated in one particular place. They have appeared in every wolves-saturated regions of the world and have their form in almost every significant mythology. Since 1931 werewolves have been present in movies. The most known image of werewolf is probably part of Jack Nicholson in "Wolf".

Frankenstein can't be linked to any folk legends. His character had been created by 18-years old Mary Shelley in 1816. Although he was brought to existence in UK, Frankenstein made his biggest career in USA. Below there is Boris Karloff's interpretation with my beloved scene at the lake:



In the end, I would like to remind another countenance of monsters from famous Tim Burton's picture:



Questions:
Do you like watching old horror movies?
Why do people like watching monsters in cinema?
Can you name any computer games with vampires?

13 comments:

  1. > Do you like watching old horror movies?
    No idea. I never did. I never wanted to, so I guess I don't.

    >Can you name any computer games with vampires?
    Plenty. But I will my favourites:
    Soul Reaver 1,2 and Legacy of Kain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like watching horror films. Only one I saw was Blair Witch Project. I was in cinema on this film. I do not have a pleasure in watching this kind of films.

    According to your last question - Assassin Creed was a vampire? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 - I don't like horror movies at all. It doesn't matter if they are old or new ones.
    2 - I guess that people prefer to watch horrors in cinema because of big screen, good sound and special effects that make them more scared.
    3 - I don't have a time to play right now and I can't remind any computer games with vampires...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 - Yes I really like old horror movies. My favourite one is "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from 1956.
    2 - I agree with Kniaz that people like watching horrors in cinemas because bigger screen and better audio equipment increase tension.
    3 - Games inspired by vampires that I played: Vampire Story, Vampire Rain, Castelvania series, BloodRayne and BloodRayne 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was I mod to counter-strike where you could become one of zombies or vampires, I'm not sure.

    Old movies are great, but they are not that scary like new movies, but that's only because we just got used to movies fulfilled with violence and brutality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch horrors at all. I don't like it.
    Cinema creates a special atmosphere. Big screen, better sound is more interesting than watching such kind of film at home. I've never played any game with vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to watch old horror movies much more then actual hollywood crap. Generally i like horror films much more than any other genres because fear generates adrenaline which is GREAT :)
    Why do people like watching monsters in cinema?
    I don't know why others like it but my reason is written above.
    Can you name any computer games with vampires?
    I don't know if in Silent Hill game were vampires but in Matrix for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. No I don’t find it entertaining.
    2. I think that there must be certain thrill, which for some people is exciting. I have different ways to achieve excitement.
    3. Vampires in games? I can’t name any.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do I like horrors?
    Yes, this is my favorite kind of movie sector. I think I’ve watched almost everyone. Almost…there are few movies that I can’t stand, for example: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre without any plot, without any sense – so stupid.
    Now it’s hardly impossible to create a really good scary movie…because of the ages? the society? People become more scare-proof?
    All topics were covered before? I think every of them….
    *print screen’ed*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like watching any horror movies. This kind of movies is supposed to be scary, but the only scary things are sudden, extremely loud sounds. I just see no point, what's so scary about some illusionary monster?
    I have yet to watch a horror movie that is realistic, without any stupid monsters, demons, ghosts etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1). I love Kubrick's movie - "Shinning" but I don't know if this can be categorise as old horror movie... :)

    2). I don't know ... I don't like

    3). Hmmm to be honest no... but I'm pretty sure what must be a game "Vampires" :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us. หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. หนังผรั่ง

    ReplyDelete