Friday 16 April 2010

Monsters in history and culture.

It seems that monsters used to accompany humans for thousands years. They were embodiment of our fears and premonitions. People were trying to avoid meeting their hideous figures as well as their mysterious power. Luckily, there were always some brave heroes ready to face them and to rescue horrified community.


In the past people were afraid of monsters because they really believed in their existence. Nowadays monsters surrounds us but we don't care. We can find them in primary school books and Disney movies depicted as funny and friendly creatures. Does it mean that we finally domesticated them or we have no fears?

Below mix from Monsters & Co and beautiful Chech song:


In fact, the landmark of this change of attitude was very ordinary: electric light. Monsters, even if you could meet them also during the day, belong to the world of darkness. You never know what lies hidden in the shadow, while enlighten streets look safely.

Every civilization had its own gallery of monsters, however some of them appeared simultaneously in different parts of world and they were succeeded by newer cultures. The good example are dragons present in China and America as well as in Europe. In Christian symbolism dragons were identified with devil forces which must be defeated, while in Asia they are often benevolent.

Below Paolo Uccello picture form 1470 with dragon as incarnation of devil.


Fafner from picture below is one of the most interesting European dragons: wise and eloquent, use to talk with his killer about philosophy before he died. Fafner, known from German mythology, occurred in Wagner's opera "The Ring of the Nibelung" and he still inspires: lately he appeared in anime Soukyuu no Fafner.
Below Fafner painted by Arthur Rackham in 1911.



Another my favourite monster, which is also still popular (eg. in computer games and comics), is a huge wolf Fenrir. During doomsday Fenrir is going to gobble the most important Scandinavian god - Odin (and this is how the real Armageddon will look like ;-) Here you can see this smart beast while he's biting off a hand of another god:



Some monsters were perceived as bad creatures and later their image have changed. The good examples are Greek harpies. They used to be shown as dangerous birds with creepy female faces and later they shaped into beautiful winged ladies.

In modern history perception of monsters was changing. It depended on actual trends and fascinations. Poor dragons were combated by medieval knights until creatures from Greek and Roman legends got popular in Baroque. Romanticism restored monsters from local believes and Expressionism gave it deeper meaning - they began to represent darkness of human soul. Finally Modernism found beauty in their terrifying nature whereas Surrealism made whole world monstrous :-)

Questions:
1. Do you like monsters? Why/why not?
2. Do you have any favourite mythological creature?

15 comments:

  1. I like monsters because of their unnatural power and possibilities. My favourite one is Godzilla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I like monsters? I have no idea. I guess there is something unusal and tempting in their existence.
    My favourite one is dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine literature and movies without monsters. Actually I am a fan of fantasy movies and these can't exist without monsters and dragons.

    For me monsters are closely related to my childhood, lets take into consideration Sesame Street. What would it be without Cookie Monster? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely, life without Cookie Monster would be miserable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of monsters at all. I don't like films and books where creatures appear. It's possible I've never watched any good movie or book with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you watched Nightmare before Christmas (Tim Burton' film)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alien is a great example of a perfect monster. Alien series are one of few horror movies that don't make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From now, for sure my favorite monster is Sully;)
    I like monsters but only in cartoons and fantasy movies, not in horrors. I think that I like dragons the most, especially in 3D;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Zombies! (and killing the in Left for dead games). As one of my friends said - "the hardest part of a zombie apocalypse for me will be pretending I'm not excited" ;]

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will not believe... For 10 minutes I was writing a post about zombies when my girlfriend accidentally turned off the electricity...

    When it comes to Zombies, friend of mine is the biggest fan of zombies I've ever met. Mariusz, I don't know what kind of love you mean, but he really LOVES Zombies. I think that he will marry with one of them.
    Once he convinced me, that I have to watch Zombieland - I left cinema after 20 minutes (including ads). I like zombies, but I definitely prefer movies like Shaun of the Dead, comedy with zombies.

    Adam is right, Alien is a example of perfect monster, but still - I prefer movies like How to train your Dragon (3d).

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Do you like monsters? Why/why not?
    No. Why yes? :)
    2. Do you have any favourite mythological creature?
    I was always fascinated in the stories/movies/books of Dracula and his castle in Transylwania :) so i think this is my favourite monster/creature/vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do, especially when holding a adequate gun in my favorite computer game. ;o) I like orcs in Dawn of War because they have superb language: “ ZeBigBoss” is their leader, “Bigga Shoota” is their weapon, “KillerCan” is a type of tank.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do I like monsters? Hmm, I’ve never thought about that.
    Maybe the reason is that I haven’t meet and don’t personally know any monster :)
    But I like movies with monsters. All fantasy and science-fiction stories about strange, mystic creatures. Nice…
    And I also like Monsters Inc. movie – produced by Pixar. I can recommend you all of Pixar’s movies. They are worth to see…
    *print screen’ed*

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite monster is Kuroliszek - it's a hybrid of basilisk and a rooster. extremely dangerous creature, it was described in Sapkowski's novels.

    I named my cat after this beast :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. For me the best monster is Cookie Monster. Mentioned before famous Muppet from Sesame Street. So how can I dislike monsters ?

    ReplyDelete