Thursday 15 April 2010

Visiting London - Classics - Part 1

Visiting London - Classics - Part 1

In 'my' week on the blog I want to present my top places in London. This truly is a city for all seasons - open 24/7, 356 days of the year. Whatever time of year you plan to visit, the capital is packed with events, festivals, activities, exhibits and more. And it doesn't matter whether it's balmy summer's day or crisp autumn evening, London's world-famous attractions are all here to enjoy. First part will cover very classic places. So let's begin.

Buckingham Palace

First must see place is Buckingham Palace.


Some interesting and basic information about this marvellous place. Buckingham Palace has been official London residence of Britain's sovereigns since 1837. Today it serves as both the home and office of Her Majesty The Queen. Its nineteen State Rooms, which open for eight weeks a year, form the heart of the working palace, and more then 50,000 people visit each year as guests at State, ceremonial and official occasions, and Garden Parties.

Best way to get there is by underground. Stations: Green Park, Hyde Park Corner, St James's Park and Victoria are in near neighbourhood.

Changing the Guard is also very popular and famous. This is where 1 member of Queen's Guards exchanges duty with the previous guard. Both guards are dressed in traditional red tunics and bearskin hats, and the ceremony is set to music.
To catch the ultimate royal experience, stand outside Buckingham Palace at 11am. To be sure to see this great performance check full schedule on royal.gov.uk.

RoyalMews.jpg (367×250)

Also very interesting maybe for you the Royal Mews. It is where the State vehicles are housed and maintained. These include the magnificent Gold State Coach used for Coronations and those carriages used for Royal and State occasions, State Visits, Weddings and the State Opening of Parliament.














St James's Park

When you are near Buckingham Palace it is great occasion to see St James's Park. The oldest of the Royal Parks of London. St. James's Park is bounded by mention before Buckingham Palace to the west, The Mall and St. James's Palace to the North, Horse Guards to the east, and Birdcage Walk to the south. The park has a small lake with two islands. Duck Island and West Island. With bridge across lake with great view of official residence of Her Majesty The Queen framed by trees and fountains.

Big Ben


After some relax in the really nice park. You are only 5 minutes walk from the most famous monument situated in London. Big Ben is nickname of the great bell of the clock from Palace of Westminster. But also it is used to refer clock tower as well. As you can see in picture above this neogothic building looks great. Specially after sun goes down.

London Eye

When you are standing close to Big Ben it is hard not to see the London Eye. You must only cross the river Thames by Westminster Bridge Rd. Europe's largest ferris wheel, offers breathtaking views of London despite of the weather, night or day. All the variety and activity of London lies beneath you as you take in the spectacular panorama. From up height, look down at the River Thames winding through the city, gaze out to the edges of London.



Trafalgar Square



After I think 10 - 15 minutes walk from London Eye crossing the river by footbridge you can reach Trafalgar Square. During this very long journey from London Eye to Trafalgar Square I recommend to stay for a minute or two in Sherlock Holmes pub for one or to pints :).

Trafalgar Square is the most famous square in United Kingdom and one of the most famous in the world. It is situated in heart of London. With Nelson's Column in the centre. Square are surrounded by roadways on three sides and on the other side are stairs to the National Gallery, the one of the city captivating galleries, which always provide fantastic day out.









Questions

Have ever been to London ?
What is your favourite places in London ?
Did you enjoy time in London ?



13 comments:

  1. Yes, but I haven't been there for long enough ;-)It was a stop on my trip to Scotland and mostly I felt tired and benumbed by the city. I should come back with bigger reserve of money and time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in London in 1997, so I do not remember a lot from those trip. Because of some reasons I am in Manchester few times a year and I really like this city :) I am going to visit Manchester again during holidays and I plan to go also to London - so if something from your post will interest me I will see it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in London in 2000 on english course. I didn't see any special places. All of them I knew from tv/papers: Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge. But it was nice to see it on my own eyes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to London nor UK at all. That's one of few places left to see for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in London in 2006 with my girlfriend, I was impressed by the size of The National Gallery and the "London Eye" roller-coaster. I hope I will go to London one again in future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in London in 2007 and I visited all places you mentioned. I like Camden Town best for its multicultural climate. It’s a place where you can eat cheap and delicious oriental food and buy unique cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to London few times on English course when I was in secondary school. I remember all of those touristic attractions you wrote about in your post. However my favorite places in London are: Tate Gallery, China Town and Oxford Street (shopping:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been in London but i always wanted to. I'm more interested how the night life is looking like than some museums or palaces there ;). I heard a lot of positive words about party life in London and i can't wait to check it out. Maybe next year..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to London. I don’t have my favorite place in London and I didn't enjoy my time when I was in London :)
    Seriously, I don’t like England. There is nothing interesting there for me and I’ve never dreamed about trip to England.
    I don’t know why. England especially London is on the last position on my “Country to see” list.
    *print screen’ed*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been in UK, but there are few places I want visit. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been there twice. And to be honest i never bothered to visit all the churches, palaces and other monuments. this is boring.
    there are much more interesting places: i really liked piccadilly circus. lots of interesting things happening there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never been to london, but this place is must to see :), so it is on my list places to travel :) I head that is amazin city, mixture of cultures

    ReplyDelete