Saturday 29 May 2010

Board games [3/3]

Future of board games
Those of you who heard about Augmented Reality definitely know that this technology has become more and more popular. For the rest I will just say that this technology allows us to see the physical real-world environment that is augmented by computer-generated images or animations. In other words it combines real and virtual world in one image that can be seen on the screen of our monitor, cellphone or any similar device.

This technology opens totally new possibilities for board games as it can give it sort of fourth dimension - animation. We can replace traditional cards with special markers that are recognized by the video camera and replaced with the appropriate animation that can be seen on the screen. That definitely gives enormous possibilities. When I saw it for the first time I couldn’t take my eyes of it. I was playing around with one card with the special marker and webcam and observing how the animation looked like from different angles.

But here is my question: is it still a board game or is it now a computer game? Or maybe both?

Here is an example of a computer game using augmented reality. Click HERE.

As we can see, here marker is used mostly to determine the “ground” of the battle, but the rest is controlled by using the computer.

So, how does combination of augmented reality and board games look like? Here is an example of game based on Go with many different modes to play. Click HERE.

For me it isn’t very impressive, especially because of the game doesn’t react very fast. I don’t think that this is the direction I would like board games to go. But lets look at the another example. Here we can see a great video about an augmented board game.

Click HERE.

It fully presents the potential of this solution. In my opinion this type of games will become definitely more popular. They are very attractive, especially when it comes to the visual sensations, but here appears the first limitation. A huge advantage of board games in comparison with computer games is the fact that they don’t require electricity! (even Power Grid) Here, as far as augmented reality is concerned, we need not only electricity, but also a computer with video camera (it can be also a laptop with webcam).

OLED technology
Board games don’t go only into the one direction. There is also an OLED technology on the horizon. OLED (the name comes from Organic Light Emitting Diode) basically emits the light when electric current passes through it. It can be used in many different things such as: television screens, cell phones, computer monitors or... board games! More info on WIKIPEDIA.


I found a great article about OLED technology which you should definitely read. It’s worth it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97818-OLEDs-Could-be-the-Future-of-Board-Games



Other sources
For those who are interested in this topic I recommend the following website. Find out, what’s the future of board games. thefutureofboardgames.blogspot.com/

Questions
  1. What do you think about the future of the board games?
  2. Is game using augmented reality still a board game?
  3. Which technology sounds for you more reasonable - augmented reality or OLED?
  4. If you are not playing board games, will you start now, plz? :D

13 comments:

  1. AR games are fairly new but they look just awesome. Of course you still have to use markers in real life to track 3d models and some good light but we shall see. The technology is expanding very fast.

    @q4
    kk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I suppose that they will get more and more computerized, but many of the board game's fans will prefer traditional versions. In my opinion even now board games are a bit vintage ;-)
    2. Yes, if it still uses a board :-)
    3. I like OLED, at least as it is shown in this article.
    4. I already do. My kids forced me today to play "Hej, to moja ryba" twice and then scrabble :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should try "Pędżące żółwie"! That's really cool and easy game for kids, but it has a lot of fans among older players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion there are such games that shouldn't be computerized and they can be enjoyable only in traditional version. I don't like neither OLED nor AR.
    Computerized board games are not the same fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.Sorry no idea.
    2.I think not because without a computer you cannot play this game means it's a computer game ;P
    3.Both of these technologies can revolutionize board games. OLED technology is still not well developed and expensive. Augmented reality can be a nice alternative to computer games and surely more exciting. I'm wondering if someone will make a F1 game in this technology (like racing game on your movie) - this would be just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion AR is future for all non-computer games. I play RPGs, board games and miniature wargames since 1996 or so. I think that AR could be a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Maciej, AR adds something new to board games, OLED is just different way of showing board in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, IMO the biggest advantage of board games is that they don't need electricity. so you can play in park, at beach and anywhere else you want.
    this technologies you described (AR, OLED) are interesting, but i'd rather keep playing traditional chess or "magiczny miecz" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Magiczny miecz"? Never heard of it... or maybe you mean "Magia i Miecz"? :D That's a classic, but I was playing it when I was eight. Nowadays there is no "magic" in it anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard about augmented board games, it is so impresive and awesome :)
    In my opinion, everything goes on, technology is developing, so such games are the future.
    Of course there will be enthusiastics of traditional board games, but our grandchildrend won't even know about such OLD and PREHISTORIC games :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree with my able colleagues. Augmented sounds almost like Argentum and it is close to Hydrargyrum – and that is very harmful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. >What do you think about the future of the board games?
    Really I don't have opinion ...
    >Is game using augmented reality still a board game?
    No for me it is computer game not board game...
    >Which technology sounds for you more reasonable - augmented reality or OLED?
    AR for me "sounds" and looks better :)
    >If you are not playing board games, will you start now, plz? :D
    No, I'm afraid. No time at all. Even for my old "love" StarCraft so board games has no chance

    ReplyDelete