Monday 10 May 2010

Martial Arts - The Origins

Each and every one of you, dear readers, probably has got an idea what are martial arts. However, to be more precise I’ll start from a general definition of the said tradition – and I call it tradition on purpose, as it is always deeply rooted in culture of a certain social group or nation.



Ancient picture of Shaolin monks practicing self defense.



Boxing practice in the ancient Mediterranean.


Martial arts are systems of codified practices and traditions of training for combat. They all have a very similar objective: defend oneself or others from physical threat. In addition, some martial arts are linked to beliefs such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism or Shinto while others follow a particular code of honor. Martial arts are considered as both an art and a science. Many arts are also practiced competitively, most commonly as combat sports, but may also take the form of dance.



Capoeira or the "Dance of War", painted by Johann Moritz Rugendas



A quick look at Capoeira.


Although nowadays there are numerous combat systems all around the world, such as Brazilian Jujitsu, Wrestling, MMA, or Capoeira, they are mainly based on Asian traditional fighting styles. The foundation of the Asian martial arts is probably a blend of early Chinese and Indian martial arts. Extensive trade occurred between these nations beginning around 600 BC, with diplomats, merchants, and monks traveling the see route to and from South India. During the Warring States period of Chinese history extensive development in martial philosophy and strategy emerged, as described by Sun Tzu in “The Art of War” - wrote around 350 BC and still concerned as a phenomenal handbook not only for warfare, but also for business and everyday life situations.



The beginning of The Art of War, in a "classical" bamboo book.


The above mentioned development of martial arts was strictly connected with philosophical codes of the two cultures, and as such was strongly based on morality and ethics. The Buddhist monks stated the Zen virtues of martial arts, which were discipline, humility, restrain, and respect. Those connected virtues lead towards self-development and that is the main heritage of the ancient martial arts towards modern combat styles.


How did it happen that those traditional practices came to Europe and to all parts of the world afterwards?

The answer is simple, after the European colonization of Asia in 19th century there was some moderate interest in this tradition and that were the beginnings. However, the real explosion of martial art schools in the West started in the lat 20th century, as the propagation of cinematography enabled production such as “Enter the Dragon” to be widespread.


13 comments:

  1. In my opinion sports in general (like fitness or gym) are essential for every human being because they keep you in good shape. But as far as martial arts are concerned, they are not only good for your health but may also be helpful in dangerous situations which require concentration and reacting quickly, such as when attacked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been interested in any kind of martial art, even Capoeira which is more likely to be seen as a dance. There is even a sentence that says that Capoeira is the most beautiful martial art and the most dangerous dance (or something like that :)) I used to have one Capoerista in my house - my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interested (theoretically) in all kinds of fight. In my opinion all martial arts mentioned above are helpful when it comes to struggle. On the other hand I believe that results of all kinds of hand-to-hand combat are determined by strength, speed and ferocity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like watching martial arts fights. Few years ago I tried Capoeira but to be honest I'm not fighter and dancer type so I gave up after 2 months ;]

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't ask any questions so I don't know what can i write. I'm not interested in martial arts. But as another kind of sports it can be helpful in different situations

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I think of martial arts I always recall this movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nONDA5wwzZY

    It's so stupid that it's funny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And where are the questions? :) Ok i see that you're some kind of a fan of martial arts, you showed part of martial arts history - i enjoyed it but i don't know what was your intention to present it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Capoeira movie is amazing! I wonder how long do you have to practice to get so astonishing results :-) I tried Aikido long time ago and I have never been as flexible as at that time.
    I think these kind of sport can be a good solution especially for young guys who have natural need of fight. I like that most of material arts (at least the traditional ones) include also some moral rules.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to try Capoeira once... My neighbor used to practice this material arts, he shown me a lot of movies... But as Asia said - I am not sure too, if I am so flexible...;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "material art" - sorry for mistake

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was really keen on Karate Kyokushin Ken style.
    I trained that style almost two years –but unfortunately during examination doctor said that I have to stopped that sport.
    *print screen’ed*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many years ago I trained Kung-Fu. Not for very long, but I managed to actually learn something. I remember that we used to repeat every move many times and what is interesting, even today I remember most kicks or punches. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not fun of martial arts. I have never trained or even think about training some of them. But movie with Bruce Lee... why not? :)

    ReplyDelete